Silver Spring is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) located inside the Capital Beltway in Montgomery County, Maryland, United States. It can be a good place for older adults to live for several reasons:
- Healthcare: Silver Spring is located in Montgomery County, Maryland, which has a strong healthcare system. The area offers access to hospitals, medical centers, specialists, and healthcare services that cater to the needs of older adults.
- Senior-Friendly Communities: Silver Spring and its surrounding areas have senior-friendly communities, retirement communities, and assisted living facilities. These communities often provide amenities, social activities, and support services designed specifically for older residents.
- Cultural and Recreational Opportunities: Silver Spring is known for its cultural diversity, vibrant arts scene, and recreational opportunities. The city offers theaters, art galleries, parks, and community centers that provide a range of cultural and recreational activities for older adults to enjoy.
- Transportation: Silver Spring has convenient transportation options, including access to the Washington, D.C. metro system. The area also has bus services and senior transportation programs that assist older adults in getting around the city and beyond.
- Community Support: Silver Spring has resources and support services for older adults, including senior centers, community programs, and organizations. These services aim to promote well-being, social engagement, and a sense of community among older residents.
- Proximity to Washington, D.C.: Silver Spring's proximity to Washington, D.C. offers access to numerous cultural attractions, museums, and events. It provides opportunities for older adults to explore the nation's capital and participate in a wide range of activities.
- Walkability and Amenities: Silver Spring is known for its walkable neighborhoods and access to amenities such as shopping centers, restaurants, and parks. This can enhance the convenience and quality of life for older adults who prefer a pedestrian-friendly environment.
Ilyse Veron, Envoy
Montgomery County Working Group
It's nice and quite kids play outside and get along there never anything serious going on. Everyone loves each other
Livability, transportation, community
Taking care of elders is my passion that's why I studied this field
Senior Living Communities
Explore Home Care Options Near You
Consider the benefits of an in-home caregiver. Care can range from 1 hour a day, to a few hours a week, to full time. Connect to a trusted provider today.
Find a Financial Professional Near You
How did Maryland earn the grade of D+? We examined the state taxes based on how age friendly they are. Maryland has a state sales tax of 6.00%. Of particular interest is that Maryland does not have taxes on social security. There are estate taxes. There are taxes imposed on inheritance. Maryland has an effective property tax rate of 1.10%. Weighing these taxes and other taxes most likely to impact the aging population is how Maryland earned its state tax grade of D+.
Learn more about taxes in Maryland
I am dedicated person to work with.